Model of the Jones Vertical Mower 19th century wood and metal patent model, made in America. This working model has a horizontal cutting arm that can be adjusted for height and reciprocating cutting blades operated by shaft and gears from the axle. L: 30 cm W: 50 cm H: 21 cm
Fordson Tractor 1921 The Fordson tractor, made by the Ford Motor Company, was the first agricultural tractor to be mass produced. This early example is a similar tractor to the ones which were used on one of Atatürk’s model farms near Ankara, as part of his initiative to introduce farmers to modern methods. L: 254 cm W: 156 cm H: 134 cm
Caterpillar D2, 1952 The Caterpillar D2 was manufactured by Caterpillar Inc. in Peoria, Illinois, USA. It was introduced in 1938 and was the smallest diesel powered track-type tractor manufactured by Caterpillar. It stopped being manufactured in the year of 1957. The weight of the Caterpillar D2 ranges from about 7420 to 8536 pounds depending upon the year it was manufactured. There are 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. Caterpillar manufactured a total of 26,454 D2 model tractors.
Kindly donated by the late Özbek Özler.
L: 270 cm W: 160 cm H: 210 cm
Steam Road Vehicles
Fowler Steam Roller This magnificent steam road roller was produced in Leeds, England. Founded in 1863, John Fowler & Co. were renowned for their steam ploughing engines and implements, but were also noted manufacturers of agricultural traction engines, road locomotives and railway locomotives. The firm’s high point was the early years of the 20th century after the First World War, Fowlers had difficulty adapting their business to a world in which steam was being replaced by motor power. The firm did, however, manage to survive independently until after WWII. L: 540 cm W: 205 cm H: 305 cm
Aultman & Taylor Steam Traction Engine The Aultman & Taylor Machinery Co. was well known in the late 19th century for its steam engines, threshing machines and other equipment. It was not until 1910 or 1911 that Aultman & Taylor began to produce gasoline powered tractors which made the steam engine obsolete. They introduced the Aultman & Taylor 30-60 which became legendary. The Aultman Taylor 20hp engine was one of the last steam engines built by this company in 1910 and put into store to await a buyer. It was also used to power a threshing machine. In 1970 the engine was sold to a collector in Tendleton, Indiana who kept and ran it for ten years displaying it at shows and using it for threshing. In 1996 it passed into the ownership of a steam enthusiast in Georgia.
. In the autumn of 2012 Mr. Rahmi M. Koç saw the engine in a field in Georgia while visiting friends, and being a steam enthusiast himself made enquiries about the engine. As a result he was introduced to the owner who was prepared to part with the engine if it would be displayed in a museum. The engine was transported by road and sea to Istanbul where it has been cosmetically restored to its former glory and is now displayed for future generations to marvel at the size, power and ingenuity of early pioneering agricultural engineers. Kindly donated to our museum by Ford Otosan A.Ş. to Commemorate the 40 years (1973- 2013) of the Board Chairmanship of Mr. Rahmi M. Koç. L: 595 cm W: 255 cm H: 320 cm
Marshall Steam Roller This motor driven 12 ton ‘S’ type steam roller was manufactured in 1928 by Marshall Sons&Co. in England. The Company was established in 1848 and started its production in 1863. It is of one of the most important companies specializing in the production of steam engines, portable engines and agricultural machinery. Although the company’s production had decreased during the years of the Great War, its production and sales increased in the aftermath of the war, especially from 1919 onwards. As a result of this, by 1930, the company manufactured the first diesel tractor in 1930. In 1975, it was sold to British Leyland and was renamed Aveling Marshall Ltd.
In the aftermath of the Great War, Marshall Sons& Co. started to get many orders from different countries, which were recovering from the war and investing in their agriculture and industry. In 1925, the Company got its largest order ever placed for road rollers from the Greek Government. As a result, this steam roller, which was of other 100 ‘S’ type road rollers manufactured for the order, was made. Initially belonging to the Municipality of Glyfada of Greece, Athens, this historical steam roller was originally located in a park in Glyfada. Following a process of negotiation between the Municipality and Rahmi M. Koç Museum, it was brought to Turkey, fully restored by our museum workshop and hence got a new life. With its special value for the Greek Government, its temporary display adds value to the mutual friendship between two neighbouring countries, which share common history and culture. L: 620 cm W: 225 cm H: 300 cm