Rahmi M. Koç Museum is Ankara’s first industrial and transport Museum and is opened in 2005. The museum housed in two historic caravanserais across the Ankara Citadel,very near the site of the former horse market, or At Pazarı, and the present antiques bazaar
The Çengel Han itself [Çengel: hook, Han: caravanserai] was built in 1522 during the reign of Kanuni Sultan Süleyman by Damat Rüstem Paşa, who was married to the Sultan’s daughter Mihrimah Sultan.Although it was built close to 5oo years ago, the Çengelhan still stands, and is one of the few buildings in the Han district of Ankara to have retained its original form.
The Çengelhan was one of the four largest and most expensive Hans of the period, with many rooms for the inn side of the business. However, with the gradual march of progress, the Han fell into disuse and ended up as a tannery, warehouse and store selling mohair, wool and rawhide before being finally abandoned at the end of the 1990’s.With its rectangular architectural structure, it is a typical example of a classical Ottoman Han. In the centre of the courtyard is a single-storey rectangular building where Vehbi Koç, founder of Koç Holding, began his business career.
In 2003 extensive restoration of the Çengelhan was begun by Çengelhan Hotel Keeping, Tourism, Organization, Construction and Restoration Inc. This restoration period lasted until 2005 and throughout the two-year process enormous care and attention has been paid to the preservation of the original state of the building. This extended to glassing the entire courtyard area. In April 2005, the Museum was opened to the public as an affiliate of the Rahmi M. Koç Foundation for Museology and Culture.
The second building of the Museum Safranhan was built in 1511 and used as a typical Anatolian caravanserai. Safranhan lost its impostance as a commercial building and during the early years of the Republic was used as a prison.In later years it functioned mainly as a warehouse. In 2012, the han was purchased by the Rahmi M. Koç Foudation for Museology and Culture and restoration work commenced the same year.This restoration period lasted until 2016 and opened to the public as the part of the Museum.