Aviation A few examples from our collection  

Douglas DC-3 'Dakota'

The most successful and well-loved airliner ever built, the DC-3 first flew in 1935, and became a mainstay of world civil aviation in the forties and fifties. Sixty years later, more than 400 remained in service. This particular aircraft was built in 1942 as a military C-47 Skytrain for the US Army Air Force, before being converted to DC-3 specification. It was last used for charter work before being laid up in 1986. Kindly donated by Mr. Nedim Sulyak.

B-24 Liberator "Hadley's Harem"

One of 178 Liberators that took off from Benghazi to bomb the oil refineries in Ploesti, Romania on August 1st, 1943 - Black Sunday. After bombing the target, and crippled by a German fighter, the B-24 tried to fly to a British Base in Cyprus but ended up ditching in the sea near Antalya. The Aircraft was salvaged in 1995, conserved and has been put on display with the help of Mr. Roy Newton, one of seven survivors of the crash.


 

De Havilland Vampire FB Mk 6

First flown in September 1943, the British De Havilland DH.100 Vampire was the second jet-engined aircraft of the Royal Air Force during WWII, although it did not see combat in that conflict. Originally named the “Spider Crab” because of its shape, it was the last example of composite wood and metal construction used in a high-performance military aircraft. It had straight wings and a single jet engine placed in an egg-shaped, aluminium –surfaced fuselage. To reduce losses caused by a long jet pipe, the designers used the distinctive tail with twin booms. This is a Mk 6 version, built under licence in 1952 by F. W. Emmen in Switzerland. It was used by a private pilot in the UK in the 1990’s, before being purchased and restored by the Rahmi M. Koç Museum in 2007.

HFB-320 Hansa Jet “TC-LEY”

The Hamburger Flugzeugbau HFB-320 Hansa Jet is an all-metal, twin-engine, 10-seat business jet built by German aircraft manufacturer Hamburger Flugzeugbau between 1964 and 1973.
Hamburger Flugzeugbau was an aircraft company, located in the Finkenwerder quarter of Hamburg, Germany. Originally established in 1933 as a subsidiary of the Blohm & Voss shipyards..
The jet on display has the construction number of 1043.
Kindly donated by Genel Havacılık A.Ş

Adres: Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi Hasköy Cad. No: 5 Hasköy 34445 - İstanbul
Tel: (0)212 369 66 00 pbx    Faks: (0)212 369 66 06
Copyright © 2012 Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi Confidentiality Contact Us Site Map English